Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Neighborhood Kids


Monday evening, a group of kids from the ward came by selling water balloons. I bought four of them and taught Charlie how to throw them at his dad. We had a blast! Then yesterday, another kid came by selling cookies and brownies. They were a little spendy and I didn't really want to buy one, but I felt guilty not buying from him when I bought from the other kids the day before. So I gave him a dollar and he gave me a balled up brownie wrapped in tin foil.

The problem is this. I've just been put in as the new primary president and because I don't know all the kids yet and because I don't want to play favorites, I now feel like I have to buy stuff from every kid that comes to the door. Anybody else have this problem? I'm not looking forward to school fund-raiser season . . . although maybe they'll be selling chocolate . . .

7 comments:

Erin said...

Primary President! Wow! So much on your plate...

Unknown said...

You will be great at your calling! I am the 1st counselor in our primary presidency. So far, it hasn't been too bad. We don't have a big primary though. Do you have a good size one?

K Lind said...

Good luck with that! Congrats!

Jennifer V said...

Whoa, Kirsten...life just got busy for you! How big is your Primary? My sister-in-law was president for three years in a ward that had 200+ kids in Primary. Talk about insanity!

Mindy said...

Haven't you learned how to say No, yet? I'm still working on it. I'm sure your neighbor kids will understand if you don't buy something from them. Heck, you can't support every little child in the primary!
Maybe you should move to St. Louis. The other day, some kid came to my door selling something. The problem was, I really honestly couldn't understand anything he was saying. When he stopped talking and held out his paper for me to look at (I was assuming that it was the product list, since it had some little pictures of products on it), I just said "No Thanks", and he left. I still don't know what he was selling. It's easier to say No when you can't understand them.

UtahJenny said...

This has been an issue for me, too. I have learned that I just buy wrapping paper from the first kid who comes - IF I am planning on buying any at all. Since my kids don't go to the local school, there's no competition that way. Anyhow, if I want wrapping paper, I buy it from the first kid and everyone else gets a "Sorry, I already just got some!" Good luck, and you can love them all very much, even if you don't buy stuff form them. Give LOTS of hugs on Sunday - that's my advice! HAVE FUN, too!

Kathy said...

You are really good with kids! You did a great job in Moscow! That's pretty awesome though Kirsten! Good luck! The fund-raiser thing is tricky! Yikes!