Monday, November 12, 2007

A Series of Unfortunate Events

I finally finished this series. It's taken me a while because instead of buying them, I've been waiting to get them at the library. They've been so popular, that it was almost impossible to ever find them. So after about four years, I am finally at The End and I don't think I've ever been so unsatisfied with the end of a book series in my entire life.

The story-line had such potential! And the writing is good. I love how "Lemony Snicket" uses his story to also teach kids vocabulary, grammar, and even the meanings behind strange common phrases such as, "as the crow flies." He wrote a story that made you want to keep reading . . . raising so many questions that you want to find the answers to! I got to know the Baudelaire orphans, and so badly wanted things to turn out better for them. But true to the title, things just got worse and worse for these kids. And then it ends with more questions, and without any clue as to what happens to these orphans.

Why is it that authors these days feel they have to end their books on a poetic note? J.K. Rowling did that, and it made me pretty upset until all her interviews where she answered the questions that the books were no help on. (Of course this latest Dumbledore revelation was completely unnecessary, although it's gained her a lot of free publicity, like she needed it.)

So my question to all of you is this . . . can you please recommend some good books for me to read. Something not overly popular, so that I can actually find it at the library, but still a great story. Kids books, teen books, adult books, I don't care. I just need something new!

2 comments:

Porter Family said...

Confessions of a Shopaholic is pretty funny. It is a series written by Sophie Kinsella, who is a british author (therefore a lot of british slang is thrown in but makes for comical reading). There are 5 books in the series. Pretty laugh-out-loud funny. Otherwise, you'll just have to stick with the classics like Jane Austen. Or you could order the book my friend wrote from Amazon. Just read her blog to see if you like her writing. It is the Peters Family link on our page. She is pretty hilarious. Let me know if you read anything good, too. I want to know.

~ m said...

I've got nothing. Everything I've been told to read is really popular right now, so good luck getting to those. . . and I've already told you those anyway. I do however, have a suggestion for baby boy McKee's name. . .Chester. Then you'd have Charlie and Chester. I know you like the alliteration thing. ha. By the way, why didn't you dress Charlie up as Charlie and the Chocolate factory for Halloween? Mike could have been Willy and you could have been an oompa loompa? Maybe next year.